2006/01/15 18:04:00 - Lets do the disk warp again.
I've finally got an IDE HDD solution for the new cleopatra that I'm happy with – I have been using a Highpoint Rocket 100 card, but the linux HPT drivers don't support the non-RAID Rocket cards so I've been having to use the vendor supplied one which
Has to be used as a module.
So I've acquired a Silicon Image RAID card (ATA RAID cards appear to be practically dirt cheap nowadays) which after a bit of faddling seems to work and I now have a modules-free kernel again. Also, unlike the Highpoint module, the siimage module presents the drives to the kernel as IDE not SCSI meaning that the drive has been renamed from sde to hdc (for which reason I'm very glad that I used "mount by filesystem label" on this instance of cleopatra and smartctl(8) works properly.