May 9th, 2005
2005/05/09 16:57:00 - Five Questions Mememememe
Questions from </a></b></a>beckyc
- If you really could vote for Cthulhu in the general and/or local elections, would you?
- Probably not, on the grounds that I don't believe in eating the entire Universe. OTOH I was so pissed off by the other candidates in last year's European election that I ended up voting for Bell on the basis that he appeared to be honest at least; so I might end up voting for Cthulhu on that basis :).
- What made you decide to do the Zone 1 challenge, and how much running are you planning on doing for it?
- Umm, it's suitably silly? I've been vaguely thinking of doing the Whole Thing since I first encountered the idea, Zone 1 seems like a managable compromise between my eyes and my stomach. Beyond running inside stations (which I can't easily estimate – my proto-route has 13 changes in it, but at least one of those is just 'across the platform') I've got somewhere between 2 and 3 kilometers in the open-air, about a km of which I can get on a bus for if I'm lucky.
- What do you think is the best non-alcoholic alternative to Pimm's and lemonade for drinking when on a punt trip?
- I like O/J and lemonade or "proper cloudy lemonade" on punt trips.
- What do you think about the latest series of Dr Who?
- I haven't actually seen an episode yet, but I'm unconvinced by the casting decisions.
- Which programming language do you dislike most, and why?
- Java – write once, faff everywhere.
Questions from </a></b></a>antinomy
- Is there anything you feel you miss out on by being teeotal?
- Not really – the only times I really think about it are when I'm depressed about something, and that's probably not a good time to be starting drinking :)
- Do you plan to stay in Cambridge long term, or is there somewhere else you'd like to live?
- I'd like to stay in Cambridge. Failing that I've heard good things from ex-pats in New Zealand….
- What *is* the Zone 1 challenge?
- Visit every station in Zone 1 (64 of them) on the tube in the shortest time possible.
- Is there a project you'd love to do if only you had the time / money?
- There's nothing that really comes to mind, I guess it depends a bit on what the irritation of the day is…
- What's the last thing you did that really really scared you?
- Hmm, depends on your definition really. Various silly tricks on bicycles (generally avoiding accidents) have caused high-adrenaline "oh shit I'm going to die" moments. On that scale, though, the thing that stands out is electrocuting myself on a bared light-switch (accidently). Over in the more intellectual scale, probably the night I sat on wall between Trinity Hall and the Cam watching the river and calmly and collectedly convinced myself that I was incapable of suiciding.
Questions from </a></b></a>naath
- What's your favourite book?
- I've got to have a favourite now? Eek. I think the closest I can come to an answer is Tathea by Anne Perry.
- And why?
- These questions get harder! It's well written, the plot's not too derivative, and it makes you think.
- What would be your luxury?
- In the Desert-Island-Discs sense? I'm a mathematician and a writer; a limitless supply of pencil and paper will do me, wastepaper-bin optional.
- What's the best restraunt in Cambridge?
- Good question. I doubt I've been to it :). The Galleria, the Eraina, Teri Yaki and The Curry King are all good in different ways. I guess out of that list the Galleria is the best by the "traditional objective" metric.
- What's your favourite fish?
- I don't eat fish, so
a pretty one!
Current Mood: be-sunny-ed
Entry Tags: antinomy, beckyc, five questions, meme, naath