Like many other days, I got a bit confused about my receipt.
Unlike many other days, I remembered to write a livejournal entry about it.
The confusing thing looks like this:
When you pay by card, 2.5% of the total cost of your shopping is paid by you to Tesco Card Services Ltd for card handling services, the remaining 97.5% will be paid to Tesco Stores Ltd. All customers pay the same amount regardless of how they pay.
Why does this strange legalistic thingumy exist?
Current Mood: confused Current Music: The Countdown Orchestra -- Star Wars Theme Entry Tags:legal, life 2004, question
"I wonder what would happen if I started routinely crossing out the 2.5% rubric?"
Probably very little. However if lots of people do this then C&E can take the apparently legal tax-dodgers back to court because a significant fraction of their card payments won't include the claimed 2.5% for financial services. I suspect that it would cost the store more to count which of them do then they could save by doing so.
If it's not on the credit card slip you signed, then I don't see that you're agreeing to it any more than you're agreeing to a EULA by opening a box. It's not a normal condition of sale. You could mention this to C&E.
I was wondering about this myself, and a bit of googling found your eljay post..
Boots now have signs up next to their Chip and PIN terminals saying something along the lines of "Further to notices posted around the store, by entering my PIN, I agree that 2.5% of the cost of my goods will be paid to BCS Ltd"
In high school, I used to have a teacher who would go into stores like Debenhams, take his goods to the counter and say "Will it cost any more if I pay by credit card?" they'd tell him that it wouldn't and so he'd then insist on a 2% discount as he was paying cash...